Tuesday, June 15, 2004

going underground?

blogging, on the one hand, is a great tool. i started blogging to make sure that I never forgot some of the awesome and not-so-awesome things the kids do as they are growing up. it turns out, its also been a great way to vent. the problem is that it has become a bit less anonymous than I would like. I love that it's an easy way to share events, thoughts, and feelings with my family and friends. but I have become uneasy with the fact that typing just my children's and wife's first names into a google usually brings up my blog within the first 2 to 5 results. Normally, that would be no big deal. But, recently, there have been a number of situations where I find myself biting my literary tongue. While I want to share these experiences with some, maybe even most, of the three people who read my blog, there are some experiences that shouldn't be shared with some people. As a result I am considering going underground. Essentially, changing the names of the innocent as well as those of the guilty. Although I hate the idea of writing endearing stories about my children and using pseudonyms. It just doesn't feel as special. Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's how I do it. G's my wife and Rachel's my daughter and I'm FrumDad (or FD), and there are maybe four people who know who's who for real, and I only actually told one of them.

If you stumble onto my site and know me, then you figure out that it's me in about two minutes. If you know me and want to see if I'm out there on the Web, you'll get some hits, but none that point to the blog.

It's a pain in the neck sometimes, but I thought it the wisest course, and I still think so. It allows me to be more direct and honest, and Rachel will still know that it's her I'm talking about when I show her the posts when she's older.

Good Luck.

--FrumDad
(google wangle: Orthodox Jewish Father)

Anonymous said...

There is a downside: No pictures. And let me tell you, my kid is a QT3.14! (And I'm clearly a geek.)

--FrumDad