Monday, May 03, 2004

Welcome Home
Today my parents return from China. My understudies and I painted a banner to celebrate them and their safe return. Creating the banner was equal parts patience and frustration. We managed to not only paint the banner, but also the floor, the rug, the cozy coupe cars, and most importantly ourselves. I just hope that non-toxic is truly non-toxic.

It is amazing how close I feel to my parents now given the crap we've been through. While I have realized it for many years now, the fatherhood thing, the staying home, and now this recent trip -- given its duration and geographical separation --have really driven home just how much I love them. It is important, I think, to remember this, for there was a time when I didn't think we'd ever see eye to eye on much of anything much less share the mutual respect and love that we do now. And some day, when Shane and Liv don't think I'm as cool as they do now -- and I'm sure they will -- , hopefully this perspective can provide some light at the end of the tunnel.