Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Was that you...
Tuesday playgroup, details to follow...

...I'm back. Playgroup was at the park again. We took our bikes, scooters, and other assorted ride-on toys. As we were unloading, a pickup truck goes flying through the parking lot. I say, half under my breath, "Slow down, tough guy!" Shane asks me who I am talking to. I didn't think he had heard me, but I find myself explaining the whole thing. As we walked over to meet our friends, I assumed it was done.

Later, I was up on the climbing apparatus with Liv, and Shane was very nicely sharing his scooter with his friends. While one of his friends was riding the scooter he came over to ask for his bike. I reminded him where we had parked it -- by the bike rack near the parking lot and the walking path which circumnavigates the park -- and told him that I could see him the whole way from the climber and that he could get it by himself. I split my time between being goofy with Liv and watching Shane. Well, he gets over to the bike, I turn away to "roar" at Liv, and when I look back he's talking to a man. Normally, that would be fine. But given our physical separation and their proximity to the path and the parking lot, every fiber in my body tensed up in primal flight-and-fight. I pick up Liv and start working over in that direction, jumping down from the climber with Liv in my arms. A few steps later, they separate and Shane starts walking back in our direction. Phew! Once close enough, I asked Shane what he and the man were talking about. He says, "I asked him if he was the man driving too fast through the parking lot." No fear. It's a little scary.

No comments: