Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Time Out!

Today, Lulu got her first time out. She had bitten Four hard enough to leave a decent mark. I very firmly told her that she was not to bite anyone, and then put her in the spot where she's witnessed her brother spend a time out or two. Much to my surprise, she stayed there the entire time until I came over to talk to her about it. Recently, a neighbor's mother who teaches early childhood education was over for dinner and told my wife about how time outs are not effective disciplinary tools. It wasn't clear what her alternatives were. To me, this is one of the most frustrating things about "experts" and their advice. They tell what not to do, but offer little to no alternatives. I think Liv got the message that she shouldn't bite. Not to say, that she won't do it again, but it's a start.

No comments: