Friday, September 17, 2004

Missing Summit County's Trail System

today, well now yesterday since its so late, after lunch I loaded the kids in the Chariot and pulled them with my mountain bike to the local shopping center. Knowing that people can drive particularly aggressively around here, I made sure we had our flag and a flashing clip-on light. Despite this, I was still pretty nervous the whole time with my precious cargo, and while nothing happened or even came close to happening I am definitely going to rethink our route and/or our ability to continue that activity. Which is a total bummer. In this era of instant gratification and luxury this and luxury that, I want to teach my children the simple pleasure of getting there yourself, making yourself go. Not just for exercise, but for the sense of accomplishment that it allows. I just don't want them to get injured or killed learning that. When I lived in Summit County Colorado, there was a great paved trail system (in addition to great road and off-road riding) that connected all the major desinations in the area; Breck, Keystone, Dillon, Silverthorne, Frisco. Especially with the two munchkins, I am really missing that.

No comments: